Wednesday, May 7, 2008

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Realizing that our last garage sale was at least two years ago when we were living in the cracked up house, we decided last weekend it was time to purge again. The weather didn't cooperate, so we condensed the big event into just one day this time. I decided to do an experiment this time around. I didn't advertise in the newspaper and I didn't set out a lot of signs. I only posted a notice on Craigslist and put two directional signs in our neighborhood. Guess what? We had TONS of people and I sold all but one large garbage bag of stuff!

People amaze me at what they will buy. I love to visit garage sales, but I hate to dig through piles of clothes or through laundry baskets full of stuff. I want to shop the sale like I shop at Target. I want to see what they have without having to touch everything. And I want everything to have a clear price on it. I hate having to ask the owner of the garage what the price is for every little thing. So I've always tried to make our garage sales easy and merchandise our sales like a store and it seems to work.

Our big garage sale in Tulsa was the most successful one yet. We were in the process of moving to a much small house across the state line and we had to get rid of about 3 full rooms of furniture. Our yard looked like a flea market, but we sold 2 beds, a dining room set, 2 couches, 3 chairs, and a huge assortment of household items. I put out a large box full of frames at 50 cents each, but no one touched them for the first hour. Then I pulled them out of the box and displayed them on the desk we had for sale and sold them all within 30 minutes! It's all about merchandising people!

No comments: