I agreed several months ago to help teach E's Sunday School class during the month of April. I figured - how hard could it be to just lend a hand with twelve 3 & 4-year olds for an hour?
I showed up yesterday morning to a room full of parents with their kids in hand, but no teacher. So I assured them that the "real" teacher would be there shortly, but that they could leave their kids with me and I'd watch them until the one who had the lesson plans showed up.
About 10 minutes later, the adult church had started, the adult Sunday School classes had started and we still didn't have a teacher - other than me. So I had a room full of kids who I didn't know (other than E) and no clue what to do with them for an hour.
I thought I could manage it until the director of the Sunday School wing came in and asked if I was taking my class to the sanctuary with all the other classes to wave palms for Palm Sunday. I must have given her a crazy look because she just herded up my class and walked them out. I was bringing up the end of the line taking a quick inventory of shirt colors and counting heads while panicking because not only did I not know these kids, I knew I'd never be able to pick them out of a crowd if I was searching for the one I lost in the sea of toddlers during the trek to the sanctuary.
By a miracle, we made it back to our room and I was reasonably sure I had not lost anyone, but by then it was obvious I was flying solo without the help of the "real" teacher. Needless to say, those kids didn't learn much about Jesus yesterday aside from whatever the Veggie Tales book taught them in circle time. Luckily, by the time we ate the animal crackers we found in the cabinet, drew family pictures with the only markers we could find (which unfortunately were permanent), and each told an easter story in circle time, our hour was up and it was time to go home.
I was thinking I'd managed pretty well considering all the kids were picked up by their correct parent and I didn't have any parents or kids left over who didn't have a match. Then E reminded me that she really likes her other teacher "who knows what she's doing" better.
1 comment:
BRAVO! BRAVO! I thought I was the only one these sorts of things happened to! Apparently not! And kudos to you for thinking to take a head count and memorize clothing...we thought we'd lost one last week while we were "helping out"...but turns out Mommy came to get her! Whew! Way to be creative and keep your head on!
Post a Comment