Thursday, January 24, 2008

Our Own Little Olympian

You might remember about this time last year E decided she wanted to try gymnastics, so I called around trying to find a spot somewhere. Nearly impossible mid-year, but I did find a place with one spot because someone had moved. She liked it okay, but after about a month her teacher started having the kids swing on a rope across the foam pit as part of her class and E quickly lost interest. I'm not sure why that scared her, but it did and she didn't want to go anymore.

I tried to talk her out of quitting, giving her the speech that she started this class and needed to stay with it until at least the end of the session, but secretly I didn't care if she quit. The class was a lot of work for me and I was tired of wrangling and distracting F while his sister did flips and jumps just a few yards away. The room was small and there weren't a lot of options for entertaining a two-year old for an hour while we waited for class to be over. So I wasn't sad to let the class go.

So here we are a year later. She's been in dance since last summer and has met a lot of friends in her dance class. One of her best friends in dance also takes gymnastics at a gym not too far from our house and asked her if she'd like to visit her class yesterday. She loved it! This gym is much more versatile than the first one and E spent an entire hour jumping, flipping and balancing on the BIG balance beam. Watching her on the beam made me a little (okay, a lot) nervous, but she just jumped up there like she'd done it a thousand times before. She walked the length of the beam 6 or 7 times, scooping her little legs with each step like a pro. Her turn at the uneven bars proved to be entertaining as well. The teacher helps the girls up until they're hanging by both arms and then gives them a little support as they flip over the bars. E did great! I overheard her teacher comment on her muscles. No idea where she got those, but she does have some power in her abs and legs!

No comments: